Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Graduating Tooth Cake 2011



My little sister just graduated from UNM .  Yep, that's right!  She is a Rock Star in my book!!  :)  She is going to be a dental hygienist, did you guess?  We (my husband, my sister Nicole, and I) flew out to see her graduate, and of course she needed a cake!  She didn't want a square cake with a tooth picture on it, she wanted the real deal, 3D cake.  Just for her, I made one.  :)  

She was wearing this cute t-shirt from school, with a tooth on it.  I said "We should make that one!"  Turns out my stepmother Claudia designed the shirt!  Perfect!   Once I figured out the design, I needed a base to make the tooth on.  My awesome stepmom said she could make one.  Really? Wow!  She and my Dad went to the workshop and came back with a wooden base to build the cake around.  

I covered the bottom half of the base with rice crispy treats (actually they were fruity rice crispy treats, yumm!).  I baked four 10" round Italian Cream Cakes  to make the top portion of the tooth.  Once I had the bottom the way I wanted I covered that in fondant.  Then, I worked on the top.  I carved the top to make it look more tooth like.  Once that was completed, I covered the top half in fondant and made the face.  We were cracking jokes all night.  I was doing root canals, and fillings.  So silly!


The base was a premade cake board, but it turned out not to be strong enough to hold the cake, so we placed a pan under it. 

 I used fondant to do the lettering, 
and covered the edge of the cake board with pretty silver dotted black ribbon. 
The final details: We found a "cap" at the craft store, and they just so happened to have a giant red toothbrush in the house, go figure!  Claudia made the arms and the dental tool to match the t-shirt picture (did I mention she is a very talented artist?) and attached them to the cake.  You can kind of see her cute t-shirt on the right side of the cake with the tooth image on it.  
My Rock Star Sis and I.
Congratulations Melissa!!  I'm so proud of you!!






2 comments:

  1. I love the idea!!! Great cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ukrainian brides can be very beautiful, gentle and passionate. They possess self-respect and dignity as well. They view sex as an important part of their long-term relationships with men. As I have already mentioned, most ladies would not consent to have sex after first few dates. If you would insist on it they might get offended and it can ruin your relationships.

    It is best to allow your lady to get physical with you when she is ready for it, because Ukrainian brides are not only beautiful, but they are also very emotional and sensitive. Sex for them is only a part of romantic relationships with a man they love and trust. Thus, if you will respect your fiance and will not force the matter, you will be really satisfied and pleased with your relationships, including sexual ones, when she will get ready to try it with you.

    If you want to know more click this link,
    Ukrainian brides

    ReplyDelete