Friday, February 5, 2010

Aunt Julie's Birthday Cake

My cousin Heidi planned a fabulous Surprise Birthday Party for her mom. I asked Heidi if I could make the cake, and she said "yes!".  So, when I asked her what her mom's favorite cake was she said "she didn't really have a favorite but that she liked chocolate".  I knew just what to do.

I made the Devil's Food Chocolate Cake from The Cake Book by Tish Bolye.  To go with it, I made the Chocolate Pudding Filling and the Fudgy Chocolate Frosting from her Brooklyn Blackout Cake recipe.  This is by far the most wonderful chocolate cake ever!  Yummy!

After the cake was cooled in the refrigerator, for about an hour, I cut the top of the cake layer to make it flat.  Then I piped a ring of the fudgy frosting around the layer to place the filling in.


Next I filled in the ring with the chocolate pudding filling.  I made the pudding the night before so it would be nice and firm for the filling.  You don't have to do this for all fillings, but I had made this one before and I knew if it was too warm it would be runny.  Still tasty, but not as pretty of a presentation once the cake was sliced.


I placed the second layer on top of the first to make the bottom tier of the cake.
Once I had it assembled I covered the tiers with the fudgy frosting.  I used a chocolate fondant from Rose's Cake Bible, to cover the top tier and a marshmallow fondant to cover the bottom tier. I spent the afternoon making some fondant roses for the sides of the cake.  I thought of a new idea on how to make these, but I'm still experimenting with them.  I will share more with you, as I figure it out.


Happy Birthday Aunt Julie!! We love you!!  Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment