Friday, February 26, 2010

Fondant Birthday Cake for Nicole

I made this Super Fun, Blue, Purple and Orange birthday cake for Nicole who is turning 12 today!  Hurray Nicole!!



This cake was a serious endeavor.  I made only two tiers, but each tier was a different flavor.  The top tier was Strawberry and the bottom was Lemon.  For each cake I  made a soaking syrup, a curd, a filling, and a flavored buttercream to go with the cake.  The Lemon Cake was from my very favorite The Cake Book by Tish Boyle.  She makes tasty cakes, and I'm sure glad I found her book!  The Strawberry Cake was a mix of different recipes, and some of my own ideas.  I'm learning how to compile my own cake recipe!  I'm excited that I'm finally figuring out how it all works and what tastes good.

Once I had that completed, I covered it with my homemade fondant and decorated it.  It was so fun and very rewarding!  I learned a ton!!


The back of the cake


The bow of course.

To celebrate my new Strawberry Cake compilation I made my very first fondant video.  It's a little goofy, but hey, at least I'm trying new things.  I have to say, I made this video with absolutely no sleep.  With that in mind, I'm sure you will think it's grand. hehehehe.  Hopefully I'll get better as I continue to work on it and as my friend Erica continues to coach me on what to do!  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHiegAsQEo

Have a great Friday!!  Blessings, Rachel

2 comments:

  1. So cute! I also liked the video. You are so talented. I wish you would post more recipes, all of your cakes sound delicious. (Not that you have time to sit down and type out recipes).

    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure would love to put more recipes on here. I just don't want to post all of The Cake Book by Tish Boyle because then how would she sell her book, if all her good recipes were already posted free online? Just doesn't seem right. I'm happy to recommend her book, (and others) and if I find a recipe I love online I'm happy to re-post it, doing the "testing" for everyone. I hope you understand.
    Love and miss you too Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete