Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Carmel Pumpkin Pie- with nuts or without?




I started with a whole pumpkin.  It's the season isn't it?  It's so easy to do.  Next, I grabbed the leftover pie dough from the fridge (we made quiche this week).   I rolled this out and put it in my deep pie dish.  Little did I know this was too much room. The crust fell over just a little bit during baking because it was too high.  Still tasted good though.  I ended up making the filling in my Kitchen Aid mixer because that seemed the easiest way to break up the pumpkin.

The filling called for homemade caramel.  This was my first time making caramel and I loved it!  I have made candied pecans so it was similar to that.  I was so excited I hollered from the kitchen when I finished, and my husband didn't get it.


So Tasty!!  I made homemade whipped cream ahead of time and it was a little cold when I took it out of the refrigerator.  That is why it looks a little "lumpy" in the picture.

I love nuts, my kids don't.  So, I ended up sprinkling buttered, toasted pecan pieces on one half of the pie and leaving the other plain.  Everyone's happy.  If you want to see this recipe check out Mortensen Family Memoirs, or you can find it in Dorrie Greenspan's book Baking From My House To Yours, pg. 322-323.  




6 comments:

  1. I bet this was awesome with the nuts - I wish I added some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love nuts--great addition. This was a yummy pie. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take a slice with nuts, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take mine with nuts, cream and a drizzle of caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pumpkin pie looks lovely - I would definitely go for the half with the pecans! I understand why you hollered - making caramel is a tricky business, so you get excited when it succeeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job getting the caramel right on the first try! Both ways look really good to me. I'll take one slice with the nuts and one slice without.

    Thanks for baking along with me this week!

    ReplyDelete