Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Amish Cinnamon Rolls



What could be more wholesome than homemade bread?  I remember homemade bread growing up, I would watch my mom kneading it in the kitchen.  We would chat as she worked.  She had a giant ceramic bowl that she aways used for her bread.  She would set it in the corner with a dish towel across it while it rose into goodness.  I think she got the bowl in Portugal, I'm not sure where it is today, but the memory remains.  Not until I was in my 20's did I start making my own bread, but I kneed my bread just like she does.  Funny what you pick up as you watch, learn, and absorb as a child.

My sister gave me some Amish starter a few months ago.  I quickly got tired of making Amish Friendship Bread, I did not like the box of pudding needed to make it.  The bread is delicious, but I want something all natural, to feed my precious family.  I found a web site dedicated to making all sorts of fun treats with the Amish starter.  I have tried Amish pancakes, and Amish biscuits, both of these are very good!  The plus?  No added box of anything, just pure natural ingredients.  My new endeavor- Amish Cinnamon Rolls.  I thought I'd share..

Above is my starter, mixed with flour and milk. It has to rise for 12 hours before I can make my rolls.  I have set it aside in a warm spot in my kitchen, with a dish towel across the top of the bowl.


12 hours later (and a little more) my dough has risen nicely.  As I moved it, it did fall just a tad, as you can tell in the picture.  But no worries, I was ready to mix more ingredients in, and make my rolls!


These are making me hungry, they are so yummy!  I made this particular batch for a friend that just had a baby.  I hope her family enjoys this sweet treat!  


If you want some starter, it's meant to be passed around.  So, just let me know (if your local) and I'll be happy to give you a cup.  Or want to make your own starter?  Look here for a recipe- Amish Friendship Bread Starter.  I use a large glass jar to keep my starter in, and I give it a stir with a wooden spoon.  No metal should touch it, as it can leach into the starter. That would be a bad thing.  I use organic sugar, organic flour, and organic milk in my starter.


Amish Cinnamon Rolls
2 cups flour
1 cup milk
1 cup Amish batter *
Combine and let set at room temperature overnight or 10-12 hours. Stir down.
Combine:
3 t. sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
Add into small bowl all at once to stir down. Pour dough out on well-floured board. Knead until no longer sticky. Roll out to 1/2" thickness in a rectangle shape. Brush dough with soft butter.
Combine:
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBS cinnamon
1/2 cup crushed nuts
Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over dough. Beginning at wide side, roll up, and seal seam.
Cut 1" slices. Place on well-greased cookie sheet. Let rise 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F 30-35 minutes.

* Note: This recipe requires the Amish basic batter. This is the batter that results after day 10 in the basic Amish Friendship Bread recipe  this recipe is found here: Amish Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon Roll Glaze


1/4 cup butter
2 oz cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter and cream cheese in saucepan on the stove.  Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well, and pour over warm rolls.
Thanks to Nina Pepin for her mother's frosting recipe found in More Please! my Shoreline (CA) MOPS cookbook.

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! And the "just for fun" label worked out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what yummy tempting photos. I am definitely going to have to try some of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ms.W for all your help!! :)
    Thanks for visiting Erin! Hope you find something you enjoy. Blessings, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete